Library Policy - Acceptable use of computer and internet services in libraries
Internet access is available in all Surrey Libraries. All registered Surrey Library members are entitled to use the services. If you are under 16 years of age you will need the written permission of your parent or guardian to use the internet.
Non-library members may use the services. If you regularly use the service, we would suggest you become a library member.
If you are not familiar with the internet library staff will help you get started and will help you search for information. If you need more help, then courses and self-tuition packages are available in some libraries and through local Adult & Community Learning Centres and colleges.
Please be aware of the following:
- internet access at the library is filtered. However, we cannot guarantee all undesirable material will be blocked and the filter may occasionally block sites of interest
- the internet is not a secure medium and third parties may be able to obtain information regarding your activities. Be aware of this when transmitting confidential information such as address or credit card details
- all forms of material contained on the internet, unless otherwise stated, are protected by copyright
- you are responsible for observing the condition of copyright on each site you visit. Surrey County Council does not accept liability should you breach copyright law
- you are not permitted to watch television programmes on a library terminal if they are being broadcast simultaneously on any television channel, as the library does not hold a TV licence. From 1st September 2016 this also includes BBC catch up and on demand TV services
Surrey County Council and its employees:
- are not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or appropriateness of the information supplied on the internet
- do not accept responsibility or liability for any claim, loss or damage resulting from your use of the service
- reserve the right for library staff to deny user access to the internet service and to terminate any connection to subject matter which they deem unsuitable for a public library environment
- reserve the right for library staff to deny user access to the internet service and to terminate any connection of anyone carrying out any activity they deem unacceptable for a public library environment
- reserve the right for library staff to deny user access to the public computers and to terminate any session of anyone carrying out any activity they deem unacceptable for a public library environment
Therefore you must assume full responsibility for using these services.
Any breach of these conditions may result in the withdrawal of future access to the internet and may also result in withdrawal of your library ticket.